Update: 29/09/2017 08:33:19
(Hue City, September 29, 2017) Permitted by Thua Thien Hue Provincial People’s Committee, Hue Monuments Conservation Centre (HMCC) and Society for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage, Fulda (GEKE) co-organize the inauguration of the project “Conservation and restoration of the gate, front screen and pond of Phung Tien Temple combined with the advanced technique training at Hue Imperial City” supported by the Federal Republic of Germany accompanied with the reciprocal fund of Thua Thien Hue Provincial People’s Committee.

The project was approved by the Committee with the total budget of 3,651,063,000 VND (143.328.91 EURO); in which 2,867,063,000 VND (112.554.75 EURO) belongs to the sponsor of the Federal Republic of Germany, and 784.000.000 VND (30.778,16 EURO) is the reciprocal fund of Thua Thien Hue Provincial People’s Committee. The project, under the supervision of German heritage preservation and restoration experts, is officially started in early October 2017, and will have been completed in October 2018 as estimated. Specifically, Ms. Andrea Teufel together with other project members, who are craftsmen from heritage restoration companies in Hue and HMCC will be in charge of the restoration.

Phung Tien Temple is one of the five most important ancestral temples of Nguyen dynasty. Previously, it had been constructed and named Hoang Nhan Temple in the 13th year of emperor Gia Long’s reign (1814), and was then renamed Phung Tien in the 10th year of emperor Minh Mang’s reign (1829). In the 18th year of emperor Minh Mang ‘s reign (1837), it was moved to the Southwest corner of the Imperial City, inside Chuong Duc gate, with large scale. It was used to worship Nguyen dynasty’s emperors and empresses (from Emperor Gia Long to Emperor Khai Dinh), at which females were allowed to come for thurification. From the 18th year of Emperor Minh Mang’s reign to the time of emperor Bao Dai (1926-1945), the temple complex included 5 constructions namely the main hall, the East and West Houses, Left and Right Houses and other minor constructions of classical style such as gates, front screen, pond etc. After 180 years, the temple has been preserved and restored several times, specifically in the 4th year of Emperor Thieu Tri’s reign (1844), the 6th year of emperor Thieu Tri’s reign (1846), the 4th year of emperor Tu Duc’s reign (1851), the 9th year of emperor Tu Duc’s reign (1856), the 10th year of emperor Tu Duc’s reign (1857). In February of 1947, the complex was destroyed. Only its base and some small details such as front screen, gate, the pond were left reducing its great aesthetic values. Although the destruction has yet to change the structure of the basic materials of the remaining, the risk of completely destruction is alarming. Hence, the restoration is urgent to survive this magnificent temple as well as its great intangible values.

For the sustainable preservation of Nguyen dynasty’s architectures within the Imperial City, this project includes the advanced technique training, from which it is able to choose appropriate new restoration techniques for the historical structures basing on the original techniques (color mortar and fresco painting technique– a water color painting technique on the fresh mortar) pursuant to regulations of international standards of restoration and those of Venice charters in 1964 as well as UNESCO. The project helps to rehabilitate the landscape and reduce the desertedness in the Complex of Hue Monuments. Another important target of the project ís to have the advanced training (theory and practice) on the conservation and restoration for 06 craftsmen of restoration companies from Hue and HMCC. After the training course, they will be awarded with professional certificates. This activity is for supporting the restoration workforce and a step toward to official recognition of the profession “Restorer for historical buildings”.

The project shows the concerns of the local government and international associations in preserving the cultural landscapes, the spiritual element bringing the vitality to Hue heritage. Actually, this creates positive influences and raises the awareness of public in the sustainability of the cultural heritage preservation at Hue.

In the current globalization and modernization, the traditional heritage preservation and enhancement helps maintaining and confirming the royal cultural aspect of Nguyen dynasty. This sponsorship, besides supporting the preservation and restoration of the gate, front screen, and pond of Phung Tien Temple, is the acknowledgement on the long cooperation and good friendliness of the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Vietnam and Thua Thien Hue Province. Once again, the project confirms the effectiveness of cooperation programs and concerns of international associations in the heritage preservation and restoration of Hue; and reflects the good capability of HMCC in the heritage preservation.



* Donor:The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Germany via the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Hanoi

* Co-donor and main counterpart in Vietnam: Thua Thien Hue Provincial People’s Committee via HMCC

* Contact:

Hue Monuments Conservation Centre (HMCC)

- Mr. Phan Thanh Hai, Director

  Phone: (84-234) 3530840; Mob: 0914.066 189

- Ms. Le Thi Thanh Binh, Head of Dept. Cooperation and Foreign Affairs

Phone: (84-0234)3512751; Mob: (84)9035.100776


Website :

Society for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage, Fulda (GEKE)

-Ms. Andrea Teufel, Representative of GEKE, Project leader


+49 (0)172 - 324 19 69 (International, GER);

Skype: andreateufel;

Hue Monuments Conservation Centre
Other news:
HomeContact us
Copyright reserved by Hue Monuments Conservation Centre
Add: 23 Tong Duy Tan St, Hue city, Vietnam.
Tel: +(84).234.3523237 - 3513322 - 3512751 - Fax: +(84).234.3526083
Please specify the source when you copy from this website